Lots of clients have lines on their forehead and request Botox or Dysport to soften the lines and smooth the skin. At Charmed Medispa, about 20% or more clients are NOT a good candidate for Botox or Dysport to the forehead. Why? Let us explain in better detail how this works.
- Let’s review anatomy. The forehead lines that go horizontally across are created from the frontalis muscles. You have two of them and they start above the brows and end at the scalp.
- The frontalis muscles lift the brows and eyelids. Hence when you contract them, you create the moderate to deeper lines that are there when you move and eventually when you don’t even move (etched lines).
- If you have heavy or low lying brows or if you have heavy eyelids with moderate to severe loose skin, you will be using the forehead muscle everyday to help you see better and compensate for the sagging of the skin and the descent of the brows. Lots of men for instance, have lower brows and flatter brows than women.
- If you give clients with forehead lines who also have heavy, low lying brows Botox or Dysport, guess what happens? Their brows and/or their eyelid skin can be made even heavier. They have less wrinkles in their forehead but their eyes look sunken in. They have to lift their brow with their hand to put on mascara. It’s a win with a big loss and we don’t advise it.
- All of these factors are taken into consideration in an individual exam to determine how the treatment would affect you with your brow placement, your desired outcome and more. Some clients actually prefer no forehead lines even if it drops their brows. That’s what makes Botox and Dysport a treatment that you have lots of communication about.
If you have heavy brows or eyelids, there are strategies we do recommend including:
- Botox in the brows to lift the muscle that actually is depressing it. We call this a chemical brow lift and it works but not on everyone. Depends on how much brow decent you have.
- Microblading brows can simulate a lift of the brows especially with talented permanent makeup artists. They can work magic!
- Having Botox or Dysport between the brows will often lift the brows and clients really appreciate the more open look of the eyes.
- Botox or Dysport in the crow’s feet can help open and lift the eyes.
The bottom line. Botox and Dysport is not for all clients who want to remove their wrinkles in the forehead. The selection and education must be the primary objective before treatment to help you better understand your anatomy and what treatment will and will not do.
Charmed Medispa is located in Delaware and provides a variety of non-surgical options to revive, awaken and restore you skin, your face, and your confidence. In addition to Botox, we offer laser hair removal, facials, dermal fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, Voluma, Exilis Ultra, microdermabrasions, skin care, Sculptra and more.